Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Beauty and the Bank

Happy New Year Everyone!
2013 has arrived meaning a great opportunity for reflection - not regret, not 'what-ifs' or 'maybes' but rather a look back on what the year gone-by has brought us, and to be grateful. Heck the world could have ended so I do not see how pessimism is even a possibility this new year.


Now being an economics student, a new term means a new dose of my loan is coming through, which non-university goers may think we dedicate to parties, booze and social events, nothing educational but I think that is a narrow-minded approach. A loan I find does not even cover accommodation for many students, and bills - in terms of internet we can get taken advantage of just because we are under the age of 21. This is where money management comes in and research is applicable. I find an overdraft, although free money, is a scary thing; this is because although it is free money, economics has taught me NOTHING IS FREE and to be fair Boots has confirmed that, because if I want that "free" make up item I have to spend £15 on make up first, when I wanted only one thing. 

In terms of money management, we need to account for 11 weeks, 3-4 months of bills/rent, food, phone, gym, insurance perhaps, societies, travel and then special treats which for me is Beauty items. It is also all about utilising the benefits we do get as students: using websites such as www.myunidays.com and also in-store discounts; many food places offer student discounts.

There is totally a difference between being stingy and being AWARE. 
Aware in the sense of yes, Selfridges sell my Nars foundation but I can get a 10% discount + free delivery from Asos. That £3 save, is a SUBWAY MEAL DEAL PEOPLE! I guess it is totally how you look at things, I mean I would love to be more spontaneous and I can be with purchases as long as it is within my budget. I think I am far too forward-thinking. I am very conscious of my decisions - I am currently thinking about SUMMER 2013 and holidays/festivals etc. Saving now means that I have the opportunity to do what I want and not miss out on the things available to me!

Beauty comes with a cost, hence why it is a multi-billion industry, worth over £15b in the UK alone, driving our economy to an extent with British brand names such as Rimmel London, Topshop Beauty and (where I currently work) The Body Shop going totally international. A comforting way to look at it is your purchase in British beauty products is a demand which will be supplied by these companies that employ people to develop, produce and sell these products. Companies develop stores requiring contractors, insurance, visual merchandisers which equates to MORE JOBS. Products in production need logistics, transportation, packaging and deliverymen. These knock-on effect apply to many things, many situations and is a completely valid perspective. 

HERE ARE SOME OF MY BRITISH BEAUTY FAVOURITES:


Real Techniques Brushes by Samantha Chapman, Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil, Natural Collections Loose Powder, The Body Shop BB Cream, The Body Shop Liquid Eye Liner, Topshop Cream Blush, Topshop Kohl Pencil, No 7 Moisture Drench Lipstick and Sleek Eyeshadow Palettes.

Yes I may have gone to university and the perspective I have is to get what I set out to achieve - a degree from a great establishment to enhance my employability. Being at university has taught me to value my money and given me great independence. And I am truly thankful for everything I have and have learnt in terms of beauty, in terms of life-lessons and in terms of the people that complete me.

Love and good luck with any resolutions made
G x



No comments:

Post a Comment