Friday, 18 January 2013

Concealer in Wonderland

The name of this post reflects the myth that is high-street concealer that matches my skin tone.
This is me. A mixture of Chinese and Indian with a classy essex accent. Religious beauty buyer so I want something to rave about. Concealer STOP HIDING!

Everyday I learn about demand and how profits can be attained by widening ranges especially in emerging markets, yet in the UK in my local Superdrug I struggle to find a concealer that will blend naturally into my skin. What annoyed me more was the acceptance of it - in Superdrug on my lunch break I spoke to a lady of Asian heritage who worked there in search of a shade match. She told me she uses 02 in most as your concealer should be a lot brighter than your skin tone. Yes this is true but not 7 shades lighter, which creates an ashy look under the eyes and I find personally, accentuates my blemishes/dark circles. This is all my own opinion by the way.

Recently Maybelliene released their FIT ME - the range says it comes in 12 natural shades with the intention not to mask but rather emphasise the beauty of each and every skin tone. My skin tone falls into the DARK range with the option of 3 foundations and 2 concealers. The FAIR and the MEDIUM ranges occupy the rest of the range varying in tones of yellow and pink. I managed to get a concealer so I am grateful for the match but I still found it very stressful that there were 2 concealer available allocating my asian skin and anything darker to shades 30 or 35.
WE NEED VARIETY as we have the same amount of variations in skin tone.
WE NEED CHOICE because it seems only high-end make-up has the means to fulfil our base needs.
There is a gap in the market and I'd love for it to be filled. L'Oreal have some shades that would be suitable for me.
Revlon nope, No.7 nope, Bourjois nope and Rimmel NOOOO so I'm going to keep an eye out and keep trying to find new ways and making use of what is available.

This is shade 35 for the darker skin tone girlies and boys in the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer Range.

The mirrors and lighting in Superdrug was awful so heres how I tested the concealer.
Little strip along the jaw lines

Blend with finger! Soz about the nails

Blends out well and not too obvious means KEEPER.
Sorry about my lighting. The snow outside means its a bit dark in my room today and the flash was far too bright! 
The snow is such a hassle I hope everyone is keeping safe and has not fell over! University is so much effort but a snow fight is definitely the reward!

Love G x



No comments:

Post a Comment